Monday, 4 March 2013

Week 1.1 Welcome to the course

Hello everybody. It is GREAT to have you join the course. Welcome!

As mentioned on the sign-up page the course will be held over three weeks and will focus on three aspects of Google that could be useful to you in your professional development and with your colleagues. Since the amazing experience I had at the Google Teacher Academy in New York in October 2012 I have been VERY excited about the potential of Google's free applications in our classrooms. I hope you will feel the same way after participating in this course. 


The suggested outline is: 
WEEK 1 (4th March): Get familiar with Google Chrome, Chrome apps and Chrome extensions
WEEK 2 (11th March): Get to know Google+
WEEK 3 (18 March): Get the hang of Google hangouts

These technology-integration courses from Schoolnet are not designed to be heavy demanding courses but rather awareness courses that offer a Certificate of Completion from SchoolNet to those who complete the very minimal requirements. The main aim is to develop little communities of learning who learn together for a month, get to know one another and share ideas. So... thank you for joining us on this Google course. The course requirements can be seen on the page entitled 'Course requirements'. 

I have transferred your introductions to the blog! Please look through the names and reply to anyone that you recognise! Just click on the Reply button below the comment - and don't forget to add your name if you reply in the anonymous category. 

You should have received Email 1 from me and very shortly you'll receive Email 2 with details for this week. 

26 comments:

  1. Sally Bowes, ICT Director, Bishops. ICT Integration; Want to do this course so that I can inpspire our staff to do this too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally this is Fiona. Welcome. I am sure you will find Google very useful for connecting with your staff for short online meetings etc. Great to hear that you want to inspire your staff.

      Delete
    2. Thanks...Just went through the Chrome intro and it was great! Thanks

      Delete
  2. My name is Mlungisi Matana, an educator at Ilinge Primary in Uitenhage.I'm teaching Social Science in Grade 6 and Life Skills in Grade 5. On Mondays and Wednesdays, I facilitate in Intro to Computer Practise in the evening. I hope this course will equip me in professional development in my teaching and how I'll assist my colleagues in their teaching and learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mlungisi. I am thrilled that you have joined us in this course. A knowledge of all the free Google applications is vitally important.

      Delete
  3. 1)Jane MacKenzie-Hoskyn from Parklands College
    2) Visual Arts teacher, Lead ICT Integrator and Apple Distinguished Educator
    3) Improve and add to my Google skills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Jane - I met you at last when visiting Parklands. Congrats on being selected as an Apple Distinuished Educator - that's one thing i would have loved to achieve in my life time! It is great that you have joined us in the course.

      Delete
  4. I am an e-Learning Coordinator at Gauteng North (GDE). I enjoy playing around with different technologies for educational purposes.

    I hope to enjoy this course as I did not have a chance earlier on to complete it. I will complete it this time around.
    Saul Pila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saul, welcome to the Google for PD course. I always love having enthusiastic you on board.

      Delete
  5. My name is Nikki Gerhardi. I work as an ICT Facilitator at Bishops College. My role is to train and assist teachers in ICT integration in their lessons. I work with them to design and implement ICT based lessons to enhance learning across the curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nikki, thanks so much for joining us. Your job at Bishops sounds wonderful and vital for educators - every school needs someone like you.

      Delete
    2. Yip-I work with Nikki and agree - every school needs at least one!

      Delete
  6. My name is Fikie Mthembu a subject advisor in the Dept of Education at Mpumalanga. I spend the day planning and preparing for training educators, school administrators and District officials in ICT skills and integration. Hoping to acquire knowledge and skills that will benefit colleagues and educators in technology integration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fikie and welcome! I am honoured that you have joined us and I hope you find the course useful.

      Delete
  7. I'm Lulamile Panziso , a teacher at Nonyaniso Primary School in Middelburg Eastern Cape. I'm spending my day at school teaching and doing administration and management duties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lulamile, thank you so much for signing up. I think you will find this course very useful.

      Delete
  8. My name is Sma Wendy Shabalala. I'm 24 years old passed my matric in 2008. Study End User Computing for 3 months, learn in ICT Centre in Pinetown studying Sizanani ICT skills and study e-learner computer for kids. I have volunteer in ICT Centre from August last year till now so I would love to improve my skills espacially I would love to be part of Schoolnet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is GREAT to have you on board Sma. Thank you for signing up. I used to live in Pinetown so it is great to have another Pinetowner join the course. I am sure you will find it useful.

      Delete
  9. "My name is Antoinette and I am an Hod for IT at my school.I normally teach and do monotoring and control as well as class visits.I am hoping to be able to gain more knowledge about Google in order to learn my learners the dangers about Google as well as how to use it in classroom teaching.
    Thank you for an opportunity."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for joining us Antoinette. I hope you will find that Google has great benefits and not only dangers! I must say that I absolutely love using Google applications as they are perfect for collaboration especially.

      Delete
  10. My name is Karen de Jongh-Ali. I am currently an e-Learning Facilitator at Johannessburg West District. Functioning at District Level I really see the potential of this platform, and setting up a collaborative platform with District and schools is way over due! So I am wanting to learn about the potential of the Google Apps and the benefits we can derive from using them within district but also more importantly with our schools. I am certain we can raise the collaborative bar as Google is really on every device. Maybe this could be a platform we could explore to get schools and district (the curriculum facilitators ect) to connect maybe even training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Karen, I am sure you will find this course very useful for what you have in mind. Thanks very much for signing up to participate.

      Delete
  11. My name is Magesh Soobiah and I currently teach in a dual medium high school in the South of Johannesburg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Magesh, thank you very much for signing up for the course. I am sure you will find it beneficial.

      Delete
  12. My name is Nicolene from Kloofview Primary, I teach computers for Grade 0 to Grade 3 - I hope to develop with the rapid development in this environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Nicolene. It's great that you have joined us. I agree - technology is advancing so rapidly that one has to make a concerted effort to keep up. Enjoy the course.

      Delete